Delicious and Fresh
This irresistible shrimp cocktail is easy to prepare and can be served as a snack or main dish for any occasion. The classic Mexican recipe includes shrimp, celery, onion, cucumber, avocado and hot sauce. You’ll find all the ingredients at Fiesta.
- 1 pound of medium shrimp, raw or cooked
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup peeled and diced cucumber
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jalapeño, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) peeled whole tomatoes, chopped OR 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 to 4 tablespoons hot sauce, such as Crystal Tabasco, to taste
- 1 avocado, cut into piece
- If you are using raw shrimp, wash them well, peel and devein them.
- To cook the shrimp: in a medium pot with boiling water, add two teaspoons of salt and cook the shrimp about 3 minutes or until they are ready, with a pink like color. Remove and drain water.
- Transfer cooked shrimp to a bowl.
- With cooked shrimp, separate one half of the shrimp and cut them into pieces. The other half of the shrimp will be used at the end to serve the dish.
- Mix the shrimp with other ingredients:
- Place the cut shrimp in a bowl with chopped red onion, cucumber, celery, jalapeño, tomatoes, tomato sauce, coriander, lemon juice and hot sauce.
- Combine all the ingredients so that everything is gently incorporated. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for an hour or up until serving.
- When ready to be served, add the salt, the hot sauce to taste, the chopped avocado and mix everything.
- Place the remaining whole shrimp in the cocktail so that they sit at the top.
- Cocktail can be served in individual cups or in small bowls with tortilla chips on the side.