Healthy Never Tasted so Good
One of Mexico’s most delicious and iconic seafood dishes, this amazing appetizer has fresh ingredients packed with flavor. We use raw shrimp and “cook” them in a marinade with a spicy mix of lime juice, serrano peppers, and cucumbers. Enjoy it for Lent or any day of the year!
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1 mango, diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 navel orange, segmented and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1/8 cup chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 1 pound wild-caught peeled and deveined shrimp, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, mango, orange, red onion, and jalapeño (if using).
- Stir in the shrimp and season with salt.
- Add the lime juice and toss.
- Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. When the shrimp is done “cooking” in the lime juice, it should have an opaque color (more white or pinkish, instead of transparent).
- Just before serving, gently stir in the diced avocado and cilantro, if adding.