Healthier Summer Snacks for Kids.
Wednesday June 27, 2012
When a snack attack strikes, refuel your kids with
these nutrition-packed snacks:
- Rocky Road: Crumble a graham cracker into bite-size
pieces. Add to low-fat chocolate pudding along with a few
- Mini Pizza: Toast an English muffin, drizzle with pizza sauce
and sprinkle with low-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded Parmesan
cheese and a sprinkling of oregano.
- Spread mustard on a flour tortilla. Top with a slice of turkey
or ham, low-fat cheese and lettuce. Then roll it up and enjoy.
- Sandwich Cut-Outs: Make a pb & j sandwich. Cut out your
favorite shape using a big cookie cutter. Eat the fun shapes and
the edges, too!
- Banana Split: Top a banana with low-fat vanilla and strawberry
frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with chunks of animal or graham crackers or
crumbled vanilla wafers.
- Apple Pie Oatmeal: Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with
low-fat milk. Mix in 1/4 cup applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie
spice and cinnamon.
- Combine peanut butter and crushed cornflakes in a bowl. Shape
into balls and roll in crushed graham crackers.
- Fill a waffle cone with cut-up fruit and top with Greek
- Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese or cayenne pepper on hot
- Peel a banana and dip into yogurt. Roll in graham cracker
crumbs and freeze.
- Spread celery sticks with nut butter, sesame butter or low-fat
cream cheese. Top with raisins and/or pumpkin seeds.
- Combine ricotta cheese and Granny Smith apple slices. Add a
dash of cinnamon. Stuff into a pita pocket.
- Combine mini-pretzels, dried fruit, nuts and seeds in a
sandwich bag for an on-the-go snack.
- Layer frozen yogurt onto two graham crackers and add sliced
banana to make a yummy sandwich.
- Toast a waffle and top with Greek yogurt and cubed peaches and
- Mix together low-fat cream cheese and all fruit jam. Spread on
a toasted English muffin.
- Make snack sliders with tuna or egg salad on a dinner
- Sprinkle grated Monterey Jack cheese over a corn tortilla. Heat
in a toaster oven or broiler for thirty seconds or until cheese is
melted. Top with salsa. Fold in half and enjoy.
- Spread nut butter, sesame butter or Nutella on apple
- Drop cubed fruit, one piece each, into ice cube trays. Fill
with orange juice and freeze. Use cubes to chill and flavor fruit
juice and fruit punch.